Friday, June 13, 2014

|| Friday the 13th

There are no crystalline heroes today.

I know this because I myself have dropped my cape off at the dry cleaners – it was getting dirty. I will wear my glasses today and avoid empty phonebooths. This is not my day for heroics, I know that.

Some days, it’s all you can do to live. I keep the water at half-full, but I know I have empty cups balanced on my head sometimes, my own super-villains dressed in disguise. It took me a while to recognize the Lex Luther in the mirror, but once I found my kryptonite, I started avoiding windows and bathrooms and my parents when they told me “Honey, we need to talk.”

I keep my electronics at full-charge and I should probably start doing myself the same favor. There’s nothing beautiful in being young and tired, after all.
So I’ve hung up my cape, just for a while. No one ever told me I needed to be my own superhero, but some lessons you have to learn yourself.

Maybe there will be no parades in my name today, but I will be standing come nightfall, and that is its own kind of stubborn, silent victory.
                                                                           -d.a.s

No comments: